Monday, December 3, 2012

Thankful! :)


Okay, so everyone on Facebook and with the blogs that I follow spent the month of November coming up with list of things they are thankful for.  So I decided to jump on the band-wagon and make a list of my own...but I wanted to add a twist!  I have been blessed with an amazing schedule this year and kids that make everyday new and exciting...so I wanted to remind myself of all the...

Reasons I’m Thankful to Teach OR 50 Reasons I LOVE My Job

These are in NO particular order (other than names being alphabetical!) but I felt it would be interesting for me to write down a few reminders about why I do what I do and why I love what I do!

Freshman boys never get old
   *Making bibs out of papertowels
   *Setting the table for me
   *Singing Ke$ha and T.Swift (outloud) without realizing it

The “ah ha” moment when something you’ve been trying to teach finally clicks with a student

Helping students learn skills they will use in the real world

Being a morning person…to the student anyways!  This really is a good fit for me! 

“Umm…what should we do about the fire?”

Erin F. – an amazing desk buddy and a true role model in more ways than words can begin to describe (teacher, wife, mom, friend)

Sharing excitement for a student’s achievement…even if it’s not in my own class

At times being the only cheerleader a student will ever have

Ever changing acronyms…if you don’t like one…just wait…in a few years it won’t be used anymore and there will be a new one to replace it!  (IEP, SIP, PLC, PST, PLT, FCS, FACS, ESL, ELL, etc.)

Being able to update grades from home…not that I do it often…but I do appreciate having the ability to do so.

‘11-‘12 8th hour foods…enough said!  But really…any 8th hour foods!

Jen M. – A wonderful mentor and friend.  Someone I can vent to and will help me see the light at the end of the tunnel when I get turned around!

Sometimes a little hands on, arts and crafts time is all a student needs to succeed

Having students seek me out for assistance…even if it’s not for my class…or even a class in my department!

My ESL students…Meese...bowing…laughter every day as we try to understand each other. 

Christi P. – A leader taking our department to the next level.  She truly does have a heart for teaching and helping me become the teacher I’m destined to be.

Dress up spirit days – pj day, college night, Fridays, neon night, etc.

Watching students get into college

BTIO – Real Care baby project!  Sending high school students home with electronic babies!  Fun times!

Kristie W. – My teacher running buddy!  A truly admirable women who can balance a full life, teaching, benevolence and faith…and make it look easy!

Having a student come to me for support; a “can we talk” moment; a confidant

Seeing a student in public and having them smile at you and introduce you to their parents…and have the parents smile back at you and say thank you or I’ve heard so much about you

Watching students grow over the course of a semester or school year

Students who have the ability to fit into places they probably shouldn’t – cabinets, refrigerators, lockers…you name a space…they’ll try to fit in it

Courtney Y. – A woman who taught me how to be an adult.  An amazing hostess, entertainer, and friend.  She constantly amazes me with her memory and thoughtfulness!  

Gingerbread house/Holiday Cup Cake contests

Being able to laugh at myself…sometimes that’s what it takes to reach a tough kiddo

Friday night lights; high school musicals; the squeaking of shoes on the basketball court; the roar of the crowd at a pep assembly (may be wishful thinking…but this year was way closer!); supporting students as they discover their dreams

Spontaneous karaoke in the classroom…songs change depending on the class – summer hits of the 90s; country; R&B…oh the things they come up with

Parent emails thanking you for helping a student learn (how to help in the kitchen, do their laundry, etc)

Lindsey Y. – a truly remarkable teacher.  I’m so thankful for the ideas, concepts, and spirit she has brought to our department.  She’s also my wedding planning buddy as our weddings are 3 months apart next year. 

Having co-workers that will help pick up the slack when you feel like you can’t go on anymore

Student: “Ms. Fedota…I’m about to tell you something that’s probably not really appropriate to tell a teacher…but I don’t know who else to tell”.  Me: “okay, just know that if you or someone you know is hurting themselves or others I have to tell someone” Student: “Oh man…okay…I guess you can tell…all I was gunna say is that my butt got bigger this weekend” (I laughed out loud!  It was Thanksgiving and she felt her pants were a little tighter than usual!)

My meetings can’t possibly take more than 50 minutes (and there’s a bell to tell us when to begin…and when to end!) 

Getting invited to the bowling team holiday party…each student invites their favorite teacher…and I’ve been invited for the 3rd year in a row…by a third student!)  (yes...I am walking a little taller today!!!)

Having a nurse in the building when you don’t feel good and just need someone else to tell you you are sick!

Watching my students grow and mature each year…they start so little (even the seniors) and watching them leave my classroom a little older each June never gets old.

Giggles, notes, texts, decorated lockers, flowers, balloons…you can always tell when a teenage girl is going to have a good day!  (in the same way though…you can always tell when they aren’t!) 

That moment when the quiet kid FINALLY talks!!! And then doesn’t stop!

When the students help each other…and you can hear them communicating (and at times using phrases you, youself, often use!) and working together to accomplish a task!  (Comments may be: “that’s not really kitchen language” or “NO…don’t sit on the counter…you’ll get booty juices on it” or “soooooo” or “I mean…seriously?”  I guess they really do listen to me when I talk!

The days where you are more productive then your to-do list has to offer!  I love adding things to a well scratched off list during the day!  Such a good feeling. 

Teaching something new to students and then listening to them explain it to others!  Oh the joy of them “getting” it!!! 

Getting to know your students on a personal level (not in a creepy way…but in a way that you realize you have become more of a mentor figure to them)

That moment when you’re teaching and you realize you need to do something to capture their attention and bring them back in…so you scrap you entire lesson and teach in a different way while standing on a table! (Always works wonders…until someone busts you and tells you you can’t file workers comp for an accident you caused yourself!  Good thing I haven’t fallen yet!)

Having your students invite you into their inside jokes!  Such an honor!!!

Learning about all the new technologies that are out there…snap chat, facetime, remind101, twitter, etc…and having the kids laugh when I get them mixed up! 

Getting to collaborate with some AMAZING colleagues and try to make things connect across different classes! 

WANTING to continue learning so that you can be a better teacher for your students!  And coming up with new, exciting, inventive, creative ways to deliver content to your students. 

Getting texts from students that they are REALLY REALLY REALLY enjoying their homework over the weekend.  But seriously…they are having fun…and sending pictures as proof! 

Laughing with your students so hard that you find yourself with tears in your eyes!  It’s great when they can see you are human too!  

I know I am a little last with my list...but I really am thankful each and every day for not only a job as a teacher...but a job that allows me to do something that I absolutely LOVE each and every day!  XOXO  

2 comments: