Sunday, November 25, 2012

My First 15K

Nope, not 15 thousand...rather 15 kilometers...of running!!!  
At the start...SO MANY PEOPLE!!!
The past few years my brother and I have always run the Chicago Hot Chocolate 5K together.  Last year, following his marathon, I thought it might be neat if I got up the nerve/courage to run a little bit further!  Well, when this year's Hot Chocolate came up I was convinced that this would be a good thing.  I started training (with a little (okay lot) of help from my brother) and figured if I could run 1 I could do 2, if I can run 2 I can run 3, if I can run 3 I can run 4...well you get the idea!  So I started running with a few girls from school and by myself.  I noticed that I can run the loooong runs on my training schedule solo but it was WAY MORE FUN to run with a buddy...now I get why so many runners have dogs!  Hehe.  

Jared was able to be with me as I branched officially onto the second hand when counting consecutive miles!  We ran 7 together on one of my first long training runs.  I was able to then have the mental courage to do it again...twice more...and longer...before we actually ran the hot chocolate.  We had quite a group running by I was SO fortunate to have my running mate at my side the entire time!  :)  Bear stuck with me the whole time...with so many words of encouragement!  XOXO!!!  I LOVE THAT LITTLE BROTHER!!!!! 
The crew (or at least a minor part of it!)
The best part about this race (aside from me accomplishing a great achievement!) was the fondue at the end.  The hot chocolate itself was a bit of a let down...but the yummy melted chocolate and bananas and rice krispies and pretzels were SO WORTH IT!  :)  
So much trash...but SO YUMMY!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment