Friday, September 9, 2011

Let the Running Begin!!!

Okay, I'll be honest!  I left for England almost 3 months ago today (tomorrow actually) with the best of intentions to get into a well rehearsed work-out schedule!  HA!!!  HA HA!!!  Who the heck was I kidding???  I always thought that the summer would be the best time to begin a workout plan...start from the first day and don't let yourself down!  Sounds GREAT in theory...fantastic really!  With nothing else really "to do" in England I thought I would have it down from the start!  


Well, the first official day of my summer vacation was the day I left for England...and let's be honest...the day you are leaving for a foriegn country for more than a few weeks is NOT the day to begin a new routine...especially when you haven't yet finished packing.  Day two, I landed, road a bus to my new "house", took a sleepy walking tour of my new "town", at a burger at "Real Burger" (not kidding), and went to bed.  Day three, 1st day to sleep in!  NOT motivated to get up early to run.  But we did manage a 3 miler sometime the first week...it was one of about a handful of runs Dave and I ran together!  :)  Yeah us!


Needless to say, the whole getting up early (when Dave did for work) to go for a run happened...oh...never!  Oops!  The bed was just too cozy!!!  Could I have gone throughout the day when I was home alone?  Sure!  And I did...about 7-10 times...but not nearly as often as I had anticipated!  


So, now that I'm home (well, this home anyways) I've decided that I really want to get back into a regular pattern of working out!  The fantastic French breads and Italian pastas have really taken their toll and let's just say that my metabolism at 27 is NOT what it was a few years ago!  :(  


I've been really good this past week and making sure I hit the gym after school...no excuses!  I pack my bag before I leave for work in the morning and don't allow myself to come directly home after work!  I can either a)work out at school (they have a really nice CV room) or b)hit up the gym I pay monthly dues at (which has a heated outdoor pool open through October!!!).  Regardless, I don't come straight home!  But I've realized that I need a motivator!  Something to look forward to!  So...the natural solution...register (and pay for) a bunch of races!  Here are a few I'm hoping to run:


October -Bucktown (5K) Chicago
November -Hot Chocolate (5K) Chicago
November -Turkey Trot (2 miler (we did the 5 miler last year)) Palatine
December -Santa Run (5K) Arlington Heights (The running of 1000 Santas!  Each participant gets a 5 piece Santa suit to run in!)


I am also looking for another race in the middle of October...not sure...but I'm sure there's like a Veteran's race of some sort!  


I really feel like having these milestones and tracking my time at each one will really help get me into a workout habit!  If you couldn't tell, I'm actually pretty stoked about these!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment