Monday, July 16, 2012

The Lovely Magpie

Okay...so when I was younger my dad wanted my brother and I to continue our education throughout the summer with mini research projects...now he will argue that it was JUST ONE TIME...but for some reason when I think about summer vacations as a youngster I keep coming back to going to the library, looking up things in the encyclopedia, typing things up in (oh gosh, I can't even remember the name of the program...but I can see the font and ready to use pictures in my head clear as day!!!), and "turning them in".  Ha!  It probably was just once...and I think I researched the red-winged back bird...and funny how now when I see one...I always smile!  :)  As much as I give him a hard time for it...I remember that project with fondness!  (And thinking more about it...maybe my research was on the painted lady butterfly (we sent away for the caterpillars and "grew" them into butterflies that we released at Parker Lake!!)!!!)  


And as I sit here, watching the rain for the almost 8th consecutive day, I find myself wanted to do research and track some data!  So...for the brainiac that I am, here are the things I'm currently working on!


-Tracking the weather...thrilling I know...but for the record...it has rained 7 out of the 8 days I have been here (8 out of 8 if we count nighttime rain!)
-Tracking my running...+30 miles since school got out (not where I wanted to be...but I could still break 100 miles before school begins in August!)
-Researching the magpie bird...didn't start out as research...just a simple google search...but I was curious!  


SO, here is what I've found about the little bird the English are so fond of!  (Well, really not fond of at all actually!)  

While I was here last summer Dave began to tell me about the superstition that came with the Magpie...if you see one you must avoid eye-contact with the bird and say something to the effect of "Hello Mr. Magpie, how's your lovely family?" or "Hello Mr. Magpie, where's your lovely wife?".  They are said to be able to predict your future with the number of birds you see at any given time...there is a rhyme that goes along with the birds.  Now, whenever I see a Magpie I repeat the poem to myself to see what they have to say (after, tipping my head to them and asking about their family of course!).


The Magpie Prophecy:
1 for Sorrow; 2 for Joy
3 for a Girl; 4 for a Boy
5 for Silver; 6 for Gold
7 for a Story, never to be told
8 for Friendship; 9 for Love 
10 for a Place in heaven above


And as I read a little more about the little bird I decided to blog the top 20 facts I came up with!  So, here goes!


1. They mate for life
2. However the ladies are a little frisky and it's estimated that 1 in every 15 chicks are not the partner's offspring...oops!
3. The mother birds incubate the eggs
4. Both parents provide food for a month in the nest after the chicks hatch
5. Closely related to the raven/crow/jay family
6. They are attracted to (and collect in their nests!) shiny objects (jewelry, plastic, windshield wipers (although those don't look shiny to me!)!
7. They are highly intelligent birds...they can sense danger nearby 
8. (Hunger Games Shout-Out!) They are like the mockingjoy and can mimic the call of other birds and human sounds
9. Large wingspan (20-24 inches) for their bodies (16-18 inches) but they don't like to fly for long periods of time
10. They are the only non-mammal and one of the few bird species that can recognize itself in a mirror! Oh the vanity!  :)
11. Their lifespan is 8-15 years 
12. Over half of its length is its tail
13. They make dome shaped nests and line the bottom with grass for comfort...what smart thinkers!  
14. They are black and white...the black wings often have a blue or green or purple shine to them
15. The Magpie is an omnivore...eating both plants and smaller animals/insects 
16. A group of Magpies is called a "tiding"
17. Each Magpie as its own identifiable call...how interesting!  
18. They walk with a strut and can hop quickly when hurried
19. They are protected as a migratory non-game bird
20. They are true hoarders...they collect things from garbage to food from other animals and will hide it in their nests


So, dad, as much as I give you grief for it!  Thank you for making me the lifelong learner that I have become!  Never cease learning!!!  :)  


No comments:

Post a Comment