Monday, July 30, 2012

Working Backwards!

As I was so excited yesterday at all that we had accomplished I didn't realize that I hadn't updated about our spontaneous day trip to Gloucester on Saturday!  Whoops!  So I'll work a little backwards and update you all about our unplanned Saturday!  


After staying up super late to watch the LIVE coverage of the opening ceremonies, we...oh I should probably talk about that for a second first!!!  


Okay...the OPENING CEREMONIES!  WOW!  I forgot how fun it is to be in the same country as the Olympics!  :)  Well...the last time was in '96!  There is such an amazing feeling over here in England as the games drew clearer!  (and now that they've started the hype has just gotten bigger!!!)  Dave and I invited another couple over to watch the opening ceremonies.  It was great fun (both to watch the event on TV as well as play with the couples cocker spaniel Charlie (some of you may remember him from a few posts last summer!)).  As the countdown coverage to the ceremonies began we had to laugh at what we were seeing being covered (ducks, sheep, hay, a maypole, etc.).  The couple we were with began to talk about how embarrassing it was...but then we watched the event and it was much more different than we originally anticipated!  And at the end (although it went quite looooooong) it was a very nice opening ceremony.  Some Londoners were disappointed in who actually got to light the torch (but may I remind you that the theme of the games is "Inspire a Generation" and to me...what a better way to inspire them than having them be part of the ceremonies!).  Personally I loved the fireworks at the end...but for those of you who know me...I love me a good fireworks show!!!  :)
The Swallow Bakery made Olympic cupcakes!
So of course we had to get a few!  (Too bad I at part
of the green ring before I thought to take the picture!!!)




Now, on to Gloucester (pronounced glaw-ster).  Dave and I woke up early for a Saturday after a late night and realized that it was going to be a very nice day (in the lower 70s).  We hopped on a bus (and 5 pound note gets you a day pass...kinda like a hop on/hop off pass!) and headed east.  Gloucester is a port town and rather lovely!  There is a beautiful cathedral you can tour and a bunch of very cute pubs!  Thanks to Dave's old roommate we were armed with our Good Pub Guide!  What a remarkable gift...it highlights 5000 pubs all over England, organized by area.  We were able to hit up two pubs in one day! 
Shadows in stain glass!  :)
Taking in the sites at the marina!   
Welcome to the halls of Hogwarts!
Nope...not kidding...they really used
this hallway for filming!!! 
Little guy on the right...
head in his hands!
Just too cute!   

Who doesn't love lunch in a
quaint little pub!?!?

While we were touring the cathedral we were asked to move along a little more quickly than we had wanted to tour but it was because there was a wedding scheduled for half past one.  Dave is such a wonderful fiancee and waited with me the 10 minutes until the start of the wedding so we could see the bride!  She was beautiful and it was so cute to see how nervous she was!  She only had 3 attendants with her and they walked behind her (in green dresses...very similar to the color we are looking at for our wedding!).  


Talk about an awesome aisle! 
Following our time in the church we headed for lunch at the Village Inn...a really cute pub in a courtyard...I had wonderful teriyaki chicken and Dave had a tuna/mayonnaise wrap.  Mine was SOOO YUMMY!!!!!!  We then walked to the wharf and enjoyed looking at all the house boats in the harbor!  I don't really think I could ever live on a house boat for a very long time...but it would be neat to travel in one for a day or two! 




As we were walking back to the bus station we came across a cider/beer/blues festival at Cafe Rene (pub two to check off in our book!) and stopped in for one!  It was beautiful in the sunshine so we found a bench and enjoyed our surroundings (too bad the bench was in a cemetery!)!!!  I have to be honest, I am loving every minute of my time with Dave this summer!!!       
My perry cider had 5.5%! 
Something just feels wrong about this!



No comments:

Post a Comment