Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Start of the School Year

The school year got off to a flying start...probably because I had to hit the ground running this year.  I scheduled my flight back to the US for as close to the beginning of school as possible (looking back now that may have been a poor decision...although I LOVED the extra time with my lovey man!)   I arrived back in the US on Sunday evening, Monday I had a meeting at school, Wednesday was our teacher institute and Thursday the kids arrived.  Holy Moly did that week go F-A-S-T!  :)  

As a welcome back to school project I made each teacher in the department a gift (curtsey of pintrest!).  Each lady of FCS received a new tumbler "filled to the brim" with excitement for a new school year!  SO FUN!  :)  It contained little treats like lifesavers, bandaids, rubberbands, erasers, animal crackers, 100 grand & payday candy, stickers, gum, etc.  I just thought it would help everyone transition back to school with a little more ease!  


This year I am teaching 2 classes I haven't taught in a long time!  I am no longer teaching LOYO or Child Development but instead I have picked up Consumer Management and Life Studies.  I LOVE both classes so much!  My Consumer class is a required class for graduation however I teach a sheltered section for students in the ESL program.  We move at a slightly slower pace but they receive the same information!  They are a constant source of entertainment for me...especially since I've had most of the students in foods before!   Life Studies is a predominantly freshman class...and wow...did I forget how cute they are when they all get together!  I have 2 sections of LS with about 15 girls in each!  LOVE THEM!!!  Although the class covers the four main domains in FCS (Foods, Fashion, Child Development, Interior Design over the course of a year) I like to also add a focus on surviving high school and being a good person.  These girls are like sponges and soak up whatever you tell them!  It's great!

Also new this year is my position as a cooperating teacher.  For the first time I have a student teacher.  She is with me (and another teacher) until the end of November.  (She started on Day 1!!!)  She's doing a great job and the kids really respond well to her.  I can't wait to see what neat lessons she may create for my classes!  

No comments:

Post a Comment