Thursday, July 21, 2011

4th Of July Weekend

Being home for the 4th of July really meant a lot to me!  It IS my favorite holiday (more than my birthday and Christmas…and you don’t even get gifts on the 4th!).  It’s just such an amazing feeling when you REALLY think about what the holiday is actually celebrating!  Our freedom.  Our history.  Our new beginnings.  It’s a little humbling to think of what was given up so that we could have what we do today.  And to think that individuals are still fighting for it!  Wow!  (Plus, I dare you to find someone (anyone really!) that doesn't look fantastic in Red, White, and Blue!!!!)

Aren't these awesome decorations?!?!  Yup...vases with tennis and golf balls!!!

Just neat...that's all I've got!  :)

Proud to be in...

Beautiful gardens!


Proud again...plus the beautiful weather!  :)
Dave and I celebrated the holiday with his family in WI.  It was fantastic.  Playing in the lake, setting up for a party, lovely fireworks, delicious food, boating, etc.  Just what was needed.  We made our way from Kohler, WI (Dave was working the previous week and I headed up there on Thursday to see some friends!) to Pewaukee, WI on Friday with a nice stop in Milwaukee to catch up with Jared and a friend of Dave’s.  It was so fantastic to see my baby brother.  I feel like I’m a million miles away from him (I kinda am) and it was nice to just relax, kick back a few drinks and catch up!  I have to say…he’s one thing I miss on a daily basis!  :)  We were also able to catch up with Dave’s brother and parents before/after the 4th party.  Due to being in WI it was like firework central!   We saw at least 4 different firework shows each night from the lake!  (We were on the lake for 3 nights!) 


At dinner...looking all Red (well...pink flower...at least I tried!), White (Dave) and Blue (me)!

CAKE!!!!!!

COOKIES!!!!

HOTT & Sweaty but waiting for fireworks on the lake!  :)

We were leaving dinner one night with Dave’s parents and noticed a really good display…so naturally we pulled up a few chairs on the outdoor patio to watch.  Well, ten minutes into it, after multiple comments of “this must be the ending”, and about 1,000 mosquito bites…we moved the party back inside to watch for what seemed like hours.  Each firework more lovely and mesmerizing that the last.  Gosh!   What is it about colored dynamite exploding in midair that receives the “ohs” and “ahs” that escape our mouths throughout the duration of a “show”?  It’s amazing.  And snuggled into Dave, on a boat, in the middle of a pristine lake with a slight cool breeze was the best way to watch the show this year.  Oh, how I missed that.  Like a kid on Christmas, it was magical!!!  Only 339 days until the next 4th of July!  :)  Happy Birthday America…you sure know how to throw a party!!!   

Lighting flares along the lakeshore before the firework show...a yearly tradition!

Getting dark!!!!

Learning to take pics with my camera...apparently it's my first time photographing fireworks!  

Taken from a boat full of "ohs" and "ahs"!  :)


LOVE the reflection on the water!  :)

PS. Someone over here pointed out that it's the only day the Americans get right.  In the UK it's always the day (#) and then the month (Example: the 4th of July).  In the US it's the month and then the day (Example: December 31st).  Kinda comical if you really think about what the 4th is celebrating.  We haven't really come that far have we???

HEHEHE!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment