Monday, July 25, 2011

Goodbye Suitcase; Hello Dresser!

We’d finally had enough!  Dave began asking his landlord for a dresser or a wardrobe for me about 4-5 months ago (think February/March timeframe).  Well when I arrived in June we noticed a set of drawers the floor below us and thought maybe that was for us…but we weren’t sure and didn’t want to take something that wasn’t ours.  You see, the way his flat works is like this…you walk in and there’s an empty apartment, go up a flight of stairs and it’s Nadia, then another flight and it’s Chris, then a third flight and home sweet home!  Well, we noticed the dresser outside of Chris’s apartment…seeing that he’s rarely here (I guess he lives somewhere else and keeps this flat for when he’s here in Cheltenham on business) we didn’t want to assume the dresser was for us and take it without asking.  So, for my first few weeks here I was living in and out of suitcases.  Which wasn’t ideal, but it wasn’t a deal breaker either.  I was okay with it, although it’s difficult to keep suitcases neat and orderly and closed…sort of a bummer.  And although he wouldn’t say it, I’m sure it was bothering Dave as well as his kinda a neat and orderly guy.  So after my two initial weeks over here and our trip back to the states for two weeks we noticed that the dresser was STILL outside Chris’s door…and we KNEW he had been home a few times as he drove Dave to the bus station one morning!  We took matters into our own hands.  One night it was just too much so we absconded with it up the flight of stairs and let it set outside our door.  While Dave was at work the next day I packed up my suitcases (the clothes were already folded and organized by style and color), laid them on the bed, cleared a space and wheeled in the dresser.  It was not as heavy as I thought it would be and moved into the space I cleared quiet well!  I wasn’t sure how Dave would handle it, seeing as all his furniture is light brown and this is white…but I was SO excited to finally have a place of my own in the room!  I spent a good few hours arranging and rearranging the drawers.  Where would be the best place for the cropped pants?  What about tank tops?  And where should the cardigans and wraps go?  And where to put the knit tops?  Dave did give me a little space for my dresses in the wardrobe but I didn’t need much space there!  It’s awesome to have a flat surface to toss lip-gloss, body lotion, perfume, and change and not worry about messing up where Dave had put things.  After I was settled with the arrangement of drawers I folded up the suitcases (the smaller one actually fits inside the larger one…who knew!?!?!) and was able to fit them under the bed!  It was a welcomed surprise for Dave when he got home!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment