Wednesday, June 15, 2011

London Rain

Yes!  I've made it across the pond!!!  Hello, London!  Here I am!!!  


Going back to my old Dawson's Creek days I can't help but sing the song London Rain as I arrive at London Heathrow Airport on Sunday morning.  You know how it goes"...Nothing falls like, London Rain...nothing heals me like you do...nothing falls like London rain"...I think it's coming back to you all now!  :)   


And as I sat in the chilly bus station I began to think.  (I know...a rarity for this one!).  But seriously, I mentally unpacked both large Samsonite suitcases as well as my carry-on and came to the scary realization that among all my many outfits and far too many shoes I was lacking in the warmth department!  I brought 1, yes 1, long-sleeve top (a gray zip-up hoodie) and 1 rain coat (keeps the rain out but NOT the wind)...oh and 1 pair of jeans.  I didn't even bring long pajama pants as Dave reminded me that our flat is not air-conditioned and we are on the top floor.  Hmmm...looks like I'll be either a)shopping sooner than I though or b)getting much wear out of the hoodie!  Good thing Dave doesn't mind repeat outfits!  (And a wonderful thing I'm not royalty...apparently it is NOT a good thing for them to be photographed in the same outfit twice...poor Catherine (yes...she's know as Catherine here...but Kate in the states...weird that it's a C formally and K informally...(...she wore a dress a few weeks ago that she was photographed in FOUR YEARS AGO and was scrutinized for it in the papers!  Wowzers!  


Back to London...Dave was able to meet me as soon as I left customs and we were on our way.  We boarded the bus from the airport and were off to Cheltenham, England.  My new home for the summer.  My first impression was that it looked a lot like Wisconsin.  Yes...you can laugh...but the first few things I saw were tender rolling hills and plush greenery.  I guess it was a lot greener then WI but I had to put things in perspective.  And yes, my first blond American tourist comment while we were on the coach (bus)...in the middle of a story about my flight I exclaimed rather loudly and with a pitch about an octave higher than normal SHEEP!!!  As we past a field of sheep.  It was like I'd never seen them before...but really...they were just chillin' like the cows back in IL.  Weird!  I've grown more used to them now and am able to tell the difference between goats and sheep as they both hang out in the pastures.  


I must say...it is NOTHING like the United States...I don't know why I thought it would be.  And I have to admit...I am understanding much more than I thought I would...even though the native language in England is English...it's much different than in the US.  


Having a blast (although it's only been a few days).  I'll update more about Cheltenham, England and Brest, France shortly!  :)   

1 comment:

  1. Immediately knew the song London Rain...as I too was/am a Dawson's Creek diehard fan!!! <3
    I'm so happy you arrived well and are already making blonde comments, that'a girl!! Love is in the air, I can feel it all the way back here in P-town!! Have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete