Thursday, June 16, 2011

Musee national de la Marine (National Navy Museum) (Brest day 3)

Oh WOW!  Such history.  Today (Wednesday June 15) I had a lot of time to myself (obvi...Dave's here to WORK...not play with/entertain me all day!) so I decided to explore the city on my own a little.  With my trusty map in hand and my rockin' sperry's I was on my way to the coast!  Well...I didn't know I'd get to the coast...I just figured I walk around.  With my limited French I have been able to get by and I feel that the French are much nicer and accepting than I anticipated them being.  Although I do not know the spelling of the French pronunciation here's a list of the words I know that can get me through the day:

  • Hello
  • Goodbye
  • Thank you
  • Please
  • Do you speak English
Really...that's all you need...I feel (and I felt this way in Italy too) that as long as you are making an effort, people are willing to help you!  I left the hotel around 10 in the morning...turning left (the way Dave and I went the two days prior) and walked straight...I figured that since it was downhill it must be towards a coast (we are surrounded on 3 sides by water).  I found a store that sold post cards and stamps (along with alcohol, tobacco, American candy, etc.) and bought a few post cads and stamps then asked where the post office was.  The lady's english was better than I expected and she gave fantastic directions (her eyes lit up when I pulled out my map...I'm not embarrassed to say I write all over that stinking map!!! ).  


I continued towards the water and came to a cute little cafe...since it was still early for lunch...about 11:30 I grabbed a pastry and a chair outside and watched people come and go for a while.  I could listen to French all day!  


At noon I made my way towards the National Navy Museum Dave and I had walked to on our first night here.  I misread the sign and thought it wasn't open until 3...turns out there's a daily French tour at 3, they are actually open from 10-6 every day.  So...thinking I had some time I decided to walk around a little and take in the lovely marina and the castle from the outside.  


I grabbed (well...pointed since the man and the sandwich place did not speak english) a sandwich and filled out the postcards...I even had un petite cafe (LOTS of caffeine for this non coffee drinker!!!!)  At 3 I headed to the museum.  They had an audio tour with 33 stops!  The lady (who spoke great english) said it should take about 45 minutes...let's be honest...it took me over 2 hours.  I think Dave thought something happened to me since I didn't email him all day!  But seriously...he was working!  I was on holiday!  :)  


Below are some of the pictures from my tour!  It was fantastic...I just WISH I was an auditory learner (or had taken a notebook with me) as I don't remember much from the audio tour...but I was listening...promise!  :) 


CASTLE EXTERIOR













































































BOATS





















This was a fantastic tour of the French Naval History.  I was unaware that the Port of Brest was Europe's #1 shipping port during the American War of Independence.  There was so much information on ship building...as well as the romance of a medieval castle.  It was a great experience and I am so thankful I took the afternoon to learn about it.  Sometimes I am still in awe at the expertise and skill it took to not only build boats but also castles.  There is such detail and thought that must go into both!  Wow!  I must say...if you are ever in Brest...take the time...make sure you push the yellow button on the audio tour (it adds a ton more info...this will be even better for those of you who learn best by listening!).  


Following my tour I made it back to the hotel and met Dave for dinner....he had had a long day so it was an early night.  We ate here at the hotel (FANTASTIC steak and potatoes!!!).


PS. NO RAIN TODAY!!!  Making the weather count 3 rain days-1 dry day!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment