Tuesday, June 21, 2011

My first real week-day!

Monday June 20, 2011


Dave was off to work this morning and I felt awful that I didn’t get up too!  But really…I had to finish the DaVinci Code last night (he didn’t) and then played Solitaire for a while since I wasn’t tired.  I think I was anxious about how I would spend my day alone (as it’s the first of many…hoping to start a routine early and stick to it!).

I started my day around 8:30 with breakfast and the news.  Then finished the dishes from last night, folded the laundry and finally took a few pictures of the flat. (Since I was behind on updating this…they actually got placed on the right post!)  I began to think about what might be for dinner as that’s my task now…but decided that could wait as I really wanted to get out and run for a little.  Now, anyone that knows me realizes that I’m not the best person when it comes to directions or knowing my way around…but I had to learn somehow!  Right?  Right!  I knew there was no way I could remember the route we ran yesterday, so I thought I’d find my own route. I laced up my tennies and headed for the park behind the flat.  I recalled Dave saying he hadn’t walked the park to the left yet (or maybe HE had…but WE hadn’t) so that way I went!  The park wasn’t as long as I’d anticipated…not that I really had an idea of how far I was running (not that much of a runner yet…I figured I’d run out for 15 minutes and back for 15 minutes). So as the park come to an end I had to make a decision…right or left?  I chose right…which lead me past the hospital (good to know where that is!) and straight to the co-ed boarding and day college (high school for the states).  Didn’t realize that the classes were getting out for lunch as I decided to run around the campus…so picture this…all these Harry Potter looking British teenagers (uniforms are a must here) carrying on as I run by (total American!) in running shorts, a white tee and a hot pink sports bra that, yes, you can see through the tee!  Oops!  I was a sight!  But whatever…I was out upping my heart rate!  J  The run wasn’t a full 30 minutes but I made up for that as I stretched in the park in front of the flat…it was truly beautiful outside and I wanted to make the most of it!  I would almost say I was hot…but I think that’s just because I was running! 

Following the run it was another check of the news, more thinking about dinner, learning to shave meter long legs in a tiny box, and a nice walk up (down?) High Street.  My first solo grocery shopping experience was a success!  However I feel a little housewife-ish as I purchased a “Woman & Home-Feed Good Foods” magazine.  Not being familiar with recipes or fan stoves I thought (well Dave thought it) best to look for an English cookbook.  Since I didn’t have time to get to a bookstore today to look for one I thought a cooking magazine would suffice for the time being.  It has fantastic recipes that can all be prepped and cooked within an hour’s time.  I’m hoping to get creative in the kitchen sooner than later!  

Dave had football tonight (soccer to the Americans), which I was planning to go watch but due to the amount of rain coming from the heavens when it was time to leave…I opted to stay home and get dinner ready!  I knew he played from 8-9 and I wanted to have dinner ready to eat around 9:30 (giving him travel and bathing time).  We were going to have parmesan crusted chicken breast with a hint of lemon and CHIPS (fries).  It was my first attempt at home-made French fries and I think I did just swell!  It was rather simple to make and tasted delicious!  It can NOT be a regular thing!!!  I'm planning to make them one more time (to make sure my cooking wasn't a fluke tomorrow (Tuesday) so I'll make sure to take a picture of the finished product then!).  Mom, you may not have approved of dinner...there was NO color on the plate!  Lots of awesome flavors...but lacking color...tomorrow night's menu is BBQ chicken, chips (fries) and steamed asparagus!  

We’re hoping to finish up our bookings for Paris and Rome rather soon.  Dave might have to go work in northern Italy and if that’s the case we may lengthen our Rome holiday (vacation) on the front end rather than the tail end.  We shall see! 

Some Vocabulary I’ve Learned…


  • Loo=toilet 
  • Holiday=vacation 
  • Lollie=popsicle 
  • Quid=bucks (like “It’s 5 quid” is like saying “it’s 5 bucks”) 
  • College=high school 
  • University=college 
  • Flat=house/apartment/residence 
  • Garden=yard 
  • Cheers=thank you/good-bye/hello…kind of a catchall word 
  • Chips=fries 
  • Crisps=chips 
  • Lorrie=truck 
  • Lift=elevator

No comments:

Post a Comment