Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Our 1st Weekend Part II

Sunday June 19, 2011


Today was another lovely day with no alarm clock!  Too bad the sun comes up around 4 and sets around 10:30/11pm.  It’s hard to adjust and get tired when the sun is up like all the time!  I’m constantly reminded of a favorite childhood poem:

Bed in Summer
In winter I get up at night
And dress by yellow candle light
In summer quite the other way
I have to go to bed by day

I have to go to bed and see
The birds still hopping in the tree
And hear the grow-up people’s feet
Still going past me in the street

And does it not seem strange to you
When all the sky is clear and blue
And I would like so much to play
To have to go to bed by day?

Okay…back to reality.  Today Dave and I went out for our first run…a simple 3 miler out to the horse race track and back.  HA!  Simple!?!?  He was a trooper and we walked a few parts of it…there was a nice ½ mile into the wind, uphill portion I wasn’t particularly fond of…but there were bunnies in the park (like a cage that the council takes care of) with big Cadbury-esk bunnies and smaller lop-eared bunnies and all sorts of sizes…so that kinda make up for it!  I guess it’s a pretty nice thing to have animals in the park…as there were also peacocks and birds and then there’s a portion of the cages that allow chipmunks and squirrels access but they are free to come and go.  We also did an Ab Ripper portion of P90X…I’m sure I’ll feel that tomorrow!  But it was fun to workout together. 

After workouts and such we went for another walk down High Street (I guess every major town over here has a High Street…and it’s a popular shopping destination).  This time we had a mission though…I needed a converter for my cell phone.  I brought the charger but I couldn’t plug it in.  We also bought a really nice long-sleeve pull-over.  It’s navy…and really warm.  I was able to wear it to church this evening!  Dave has been church shopping since his arrival and had just found out about St. Matthew’s (well, he knew the church existed…but it was news to him that they had a 6:30pm service).  His co-worker Cath is a member there and invited us to join her.  We arrived right on time!  It is a beautiful old church!  I’m hoping to go back sometime this week (perhaps Thursday for their woman’s bible study) and take a few pictures of the outside…it’s truly unique!  Dave and I exchanged surprised glances when the minister(?) announced that we’d be worshipping for the next hour and a half!  WHAT?!?!  We hadn’t eaten since noon and figured we’d be home by 7:30-8:00.  But I guess tonight’s service was unique in that there was a guest preacher AND communion (which apparently they only do about once a month).  I really enjoyed the service and the feeling we got from the church.  Dave wasn’t sold on all the singing…I think there was about 15 minutes of singing at the beginning and then a few songs throughout the service and then two or three at the end.  Another uniqueness is that everyone (and really…everyone) stays after the service for coffee and baked goods. They all sit around tables and chat.  We had a few people on the “welcoming committee” welcome us.  They would walk up and say “hello, are you visiting?”  or “where are you from?” or “do you have any questions about the church” or “welcome, I haven’t seen you before”.  It wasn’t that awkward forced conversation though…it felt friendly and normal.  There were a lot of people our age there.  We didn’t end up leaving until 9:45…mind you, we were STARVING at this point.  

So what was for dinner?  Hmmm…frozen pizza!  I know, I know…not exactly what you’d think Cheltenham is all about…but it was worth a shot…Dave hadn’t tried the frozen pizza from his grocery store yet but had one in the freezer so we popped in The DaVinci Code and let the pizza cook.  Wasn’t the best pizza…but we were both so hungry that we ate the entire thing (think Jack’s Pizza size).  Bummer that Dave has to go to work tomorrow!  I’m liking this hanging out together thing we’ve got going on!  :)

PS. Happy Father’s Day to the world’s best daddio!  I miss you tons but know that I’ll see you in a week!  I hope you enjoyed your lunch in Wisconsin with Bearie!  I wish I could have been there!  Hope you enjoyed your special day and didn’t have to work too hard!  :)  I love you!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment