Friday, August 12, 2011

My Hair Adventures!


July 26th
Okay, lets be honest!  We know this vibrant shade of blond isn’t my true, natural color.  *sigh*  Now that the truth is out I have to say…I was worried about how I would be able to maintain it while I was here.  I have been going to the same hair stylist since I was about 16 (and have followed her through 3 salons now!).  I know it’s just hair and that it will grow out if something “bad” happens…but it still worries me to have someone I don’t know color or cut it!  And that was in the states!  Now here I am, a thousand miles away, where I really don’t know who to even ask for a reference on stylists or salons.  The only thing I do know is that the ends needed a trim and my roots were a little on the dark side. 

So…what’s a girl to do? 

Naturally, I STALKED. 4 different salons.  For a few days at different times of day!  I walked slowly past the windows to see the treatments being performed (I couldn’t just trust the pictures or “menus”, if you will, on the walls!).  I watched how the stylists treated the customers, saw which salons offered “deals” for color and cuts, watched the customers when they saw the “final product”, etc.  It was quite a task.  I also looked at the products each salon used.  I know my US product so I figured if a salon in the UK used the same product type I wouldn’t have a reaction to it.  At the end of my “research” I decided on a salon that Dave has actually used in the past for his haircuts (and yes, his red is real…no worries…and no additives!).  I made an appointment and nervously waited.  All I needed was a partial touch-up so it wasn’t a HUGE deal…BUT…prior to leaving the states in June I thought it a brilliant idea to get bangs…yes, bangs…and I wanted to make sure the salon here would be able to cut them the same.  The lady was WONDERFUL!  I think she knew I was nervous…or maybe it was that I told her so…either way…she put me at ease as she was able to answer all my questions patiently.  She has been coloring hair for 7 years.  She would re-do it if I wanted/needed her to.  She offered me complimentary drinks.  And went to mix the color. 

The end result was a little blonder than I had thought it would be…but I must say…now that it’s been a few weeks and the initial color has faded slightly it’s quite pretty…and I did it all my self!  I’m a big girl now…no more hand holding!  :)  The lady also listened to me when I told her how much I wanted cut off.  Typically in the states when you tell them to trim off the ends you end up with a few inches…not here though!  You get what you ask for and she took off just the ends and trimmed the bangs slightly!  The cut was perfect!  I must say…I was very pleasantly surprised!      

Sorry...no pics of the before/after...  :(

No comments:

Post a Comment