Friday, August 12, 2011

A Weekend of Sightseeing!


July 22nd-July 24th

A couple friend of Dave’s offered to take us sightseeing though the Cotswold area!  I had seen most of what could be seen of Cheltenham so it was a nice change of scene (well not really…seeing as Cheltenham is in the Cotswold area of England…but it was really fun to see the area up close and personal!).  Since Dave doesn’t have a car here in England we have been taking advantage of the offers we are given to get away a little.  So when this opportunity came up we jumped at the chance…and as far as I know…the small towns we visited Dave hadn’t yet been to!  YEAH!

I had met the couple (Will and Vanessa) early when we went out to dinner a few days earlier and they are wonderful!  They are both originally from the area so they know it pretty well, which is nice.  Plus they are really good at driving on the other side of the road.  It takes a LOT of getting used to! 

Some of the roads here in England are CRAZY!  They are narrow (barely a shoulder!!!) and tree lined.  Some of dug out so the sides of the road are taller than the cars…which means if you have cars coming from different directions someone has to stop, or slow up so that they can pass each other!  I was REALLY nervous the first few times I rode in cars here!  But then realized that these “drivers” have been using these roads for years and are used to them and know what to expect so I needent be worried!  So once I relaxed I was able to really enjoy the views from the backseat!

 
 
Our first stop was Broadway.  We stopped in a few different stops in the area so that we could take in the view of the valley from the bluffs, venture down the small town streets and visits the shops.  

We had tea (go figure) in a great little place!  There were real vines on the ceiling (and they were growing grapes!).  None of us realized that we were hungry until we had a bit of tea with biscuits!!!  We wanted to make the most of our day so we continued on and decided that we could wait a little while longer to eat.  After touring the town of Broadway we made our way to Broadway Tower for some pictures.  Again, I’m not great with the history…but Dave is!  So ask me…and I can ask him!  :)






A CRITTER!!!!!!
Same critter...new angle!  
Herd(?) of critters!!!

Dave and me at the lookout point at Broadway Tower!
Overlooking the Cotswolds!
Broadway Tower!  Not even photoshopped! 

Had to be the tourists!  :)
If you want to know what it really looks like…well…it’s what you think of when you think of small town England!  Small little cottages.  Lots of brick.  Moss covered roofs.  Stone fences.  LOTS of flowers.  LOTS of greenery!  If it’s easier…think about The Holiday with Cameron Diaz or Bridget Jones’ Diary…they were both filmed in areas that look like the Cotswolds. 





We also made our way to Stow in the Wold.  I couldn’t get over the name…and I couldn’t get it right!  I was like Stone in the Wall, Stone’s Throw, Stow it in the Wall, Stow Will…I felt like the coach in Rookie of the Year! 


Again, it was a really neat area!  Picturesque even.  We had lovely weather (surprise, surprise!) although it was a bit cool for me!  Will and Vanessa invited us to their house for a barbeque that evening.  There was SO MUCH food…we probably shouldn’t have eaten it all…but we did!  And I even got some critter time in, as they have a cocker spaniel puppy named Charlie!  SUCH A CUTIE!!!!!  
Will the grill master!  
Me and Charlie puppy!  :)

My buddy Charlie!


No comments:

Post a Comment