Monday, August 29, 2011

Wonderful Feeling!

Tonight I was able to serve with my SOS (Students Over Self) group at an organization called "Feed My Starving Children".  For those unfamiliar with the organization PLEASE check it out.  It's truly fantastic and such a wonderful opportunity!  http://www.fmsc.org/  The group we went with today were members of the SOS Exec Board at school...and what a remarkable group of students!  WOW!  They are all so dedicated and involved not only with SOS but with so many other great programs/teams at the school.  It was great to hear them work together and challenge each other during this event.  Since I am a new sponsor to this group it was nice to be able to put some faces with some names (especially the names of the leaders!).

We met at the packing location around 5:45 to gather and the fun began around 6:00.  We actually packed the food (chicken (not real chicken...flavoring and such!), veggies, soy and rice) from 6:15-7:15.  We then all cleaned the area and met for closing at 7:25.  It was wonderful!  I believe we packed 36 BOXES of food...each box contained 36 BAGS of food...each bag of food provides a full meal for SIX children (under the age of 5).  If you do the math...we packaged 1296 bags of food which equals 7,776 single meals for children...OR the equivalent of feeding 21 children for a year!  Holy moly!!!  What was really unique was that we were able to pray over the boxes at the conclusion of the event.  We didn't HAVE to...but those who wanted to were welcomed to do so!  What an amazing feeling to know we helped that many starving children in only a matter of an hour!  I do hope I will be able to volunteer there again!  I'm already starting my list of who I can bring with me next time!!!  :)  Watch out...YOU might be on it!  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment