Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Getting Caught Up! Paris Round 1 Day 3

Okay...I have seriously been slacking as this should have been posted following our return from Paris (the FIRST TIME)...this July 19...but alas...this whole not having constant internet is a little more difficult than even I expected!  


So I'll be a little brief with this post as it was our last day in Paris and we were headed home in the evening.


Our final day in Paris found dave and I at the Louvre...for the entire day!  We woke up relatively early (I don't think we set an alarm though), showered, dressed and were on our way...trusty Museum Pass in hand.  (SIDE-NOTE...IF you ever get to Paris...BUY THE PASS!!!!  It's well worth the 40 euros.  It granted admission to most of the sites we wanted to see (Notre Dame, Versailles, Arch de Triumph, the Louvre, etc...but NOT the Eiffel Tower) plus a "skip the line" entrance as well).  The line 2 hours after opening had wrapped almost all the way around the glass pyramid out front...ewwww.  But we were able to walk right in!  


We decided to divide and conquer since we had two main things to do as we got in...1)get the audio guides...I failed and didn't put the Rick Steves guides that are on my computer onto my iPhone! and 2)buy tickets to the Rembrandt exhibit (Dave's a huge fan of that era of paintings).  So he got the tickets while I went in search of the audio guides...and thank goodness for timing.  I had been in line for about 10 minutes when they announced that there were no more guides at that time...I was 5 from the desk.  I was bummed but made eye-contact with the nice french person behind the counter and they waved me and a few others forward...turns out they still had about 15 left but didn't want the line to keep growing!  PHEW!!!!


Armed with our guides and map...we were off!  :)  We made a list of "must-sees" (including the Wedding at Cana, Mona Lisa, etc.) and then decided that we'd see how much time was left when we were finished with those before we looked at more things. 


All in all...we got to see about 2 floors of 1 wing of the Louvre in the amount of time we were there!  It was great and I really could spend all day there...although...I was getting a little antsy by the end!


Then it was off to another long day of travel for us.  Our Eurostar was scheduled to leave at 7:15pm.  The train was on time and we were all set...after a snack of FANTASTIC ice cream!  Our seats were rear facing and anyone that knows my motion sickness issues knows that it could have been an issue...but I got settled (and was even reading my nook at the time...it was a fantastic story that I didn't want to put down) and didn't pay attention to the train...and made it all the way to London (backwards) while reading...hmmmm...interesting!  


Our train out of London was a little late to leave and we had to RUN to catch our connecting train (train #3 if you're counting!!!).  We made it back to Cheltenham tired but happy around 1:30am.  LONG DAY!  

No comments:

Post a Comment